Saturday 6 June 2009

When in doubt, wear red.


Do you ever wish you could have a change of thoughts or attitude as you have a change of clothes? I do, and I get it pretty often. Whenever I open my closet I think to myself that whatever I'm going to wear that day it will change my thought patterns and myself generally just for a day or two. Go go appearances! So if I change into Creativity, or Productivity, Playfulness, or Comfort, Laziness etc, I'll wear that attitude like honour would be my clothing. For one should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art. Ah, Wilde you trickster.

But today I didn't really wish to open my closet just because most of the clothes I have in there were bought this year, so while they're new, they're also familiar. Who needs recent familiar, ongoing thoughts? Not me, thx. Even charity shops would be better off without them.

I wanted to wear sparkly, colourful Productivity today, but that never really happened because I just don't seem to fit in it anymore. My mind has grown thin, and it started wandering aimlessly around launderettes late at night. Evil places. And so today I went clothes shopping in my head's departments, just because I felt nekkid. Out of habit, I'd do it on my own, shopping I mean. But today I took someone with me, for the little rogue was in my head too. I'd do the wild goose chase, I'd spin in front of the mirror, trying on new clothes, new thoughts, but really, my mind was just going round in circles in the thought-changing rooms.

Looking at me through the mirror, the rapscallion would say "Oh no, that one doesn't look that good to behold, I tried it on before and it wasn't prime material, it gave me the cooties. I know all about it. You should not allow yourself to wear that nowai, etc." The message would also repeat itself through the PA system of the neurotic malfunctioning brain. So then you're left there, looking at the dissolved girl in the mirror that is made to fade. And you know that even if you're not going to buy it, the material has already been stuck to you, the attitude of the clothing has already been embedded in, and absorbed by, the pores of your skin. You've got the bad-thinking-pattern-cooties now, you're dead skin.
And really, nobody else is there except for just another voice occasionally. You're on your own even in your head just as the only person that is with you 24/7 is yourself. It's easy to remember when it came.

There was no voice that told me, "Ok buy this, and wear it if you have to today, wash the bad cootie-thoughts away tonight in a nice warm bath, and let me take you 'clothes' shopping tomorrow, and we'll change your attitude by the next day. And if this weird analogy of yours between clothes and thoughts stops working, then I'll still love you like silly anyway." Now haaang on, hold your hosses Squire, who is the culprit guilty of letting her mind wander shamelessly beyond such impervious (and apparently unreasonable) limits? All of those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand and send me to the naughty corner.


So yeah, pyjamas were all I had on today, and I locked myself in my room all day. Learning from the Laziest of all, hard work pays off in the future, while laziness pays off now.


Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes your writing reminds me that I, Nothingness, have a heart and this writing of yours breaks it. How come you break it so often? How come you can do what you don't want to do? How come a pretty head like yours can roam into such grim places?

P.S. Lay off the acid, poor people need it! Now rise and shine, soldier!
P.P.S. Imi place si graiu' romanesc, traiasca Romania dodoloata!

Jackie Cane said...

Uh, soz. It's cuz I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve! I can't help it, it came with the coat I'm wearing. :S